Re: [NTLK] Modems, drivers and the net: questions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 11:16:31 EDT

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Paul Vaughan wrote:

> My questions are
>
> 1) Should almost any PCMCIA modem work with a
> Newton,or are there some problem areas I should look
> out for?

Stay away from anything marked "Requires Windows" or "WinModem". These
require special software on the computer to use them. They won't work in
a Newton.

> 2) Do I need special drivers to get a modem to work,
> or should the Newton automatically recognize it as
> soon as it's plugged in?

The Newton will recognize a standard hardware modem as a "Communications
Card" - you should see a dialog when you plug it in.

The built-in "28.8 or faster" setting should work on most PCMCIA modems.
If not, you should look up the modem's recommended INIT strings, and then
use Modem Modifier to roll-your-own modem definition. I did this a long
time ago when I had a Boca 56K modem.

http://newyork.unna.org/unna/utilites/ModemModifier2.02/

> 3) Will NIE and/or Newts Cape work with a proxy
> server?

Newt's Cape supports HTTP proxies:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm