Re: [NTLK] bootstrapping success

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 17:11:58 EDT

On 23/10/02 17:00, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to a number of helpful persons, I was able to use the docking
> protocol guide on Paul Guyot's page to construct a trivial loader to
> get Sloup onto my Newton MP2100.
>
> A number of other helpful persons suggested that bootstrapping an
> MP2100 without either a serial dongle or a flash card was not possible.
> The good news is that it can be done with a compatible PCMCIA modem --
> which are substatially easier to find and cheaper than dongles.
>
> I'll continue to work on a bootstrapping scheme for IrDA.

That sounds good!

BTW, maybe I missed something, but what do you actually mean by
"bootstrapping"?

-Laurent.

Gang of Four n.: (also abbreviated `GOF') [prob. a play on the `Gang Of
Four' who briefly ran Communist China after the death of Mao T'se Tung]
Describes either the authors or the book "Design Patterns: Elements of
Reusable Object-Oriented Software" published in 1995 by Addison-Wesley (ISBN
0-201-63361-2). The authors forming the Gang Of Four are Erich Gamma,
Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides. They are also sometimes
referred to as `Gamma et. al.' The authors state at
http://www.hillside.net/patterns/DPBook/GOF.html "Why are we ... called
this? Who knows. Somehow the name just stuck." The term is also used to
describe any of the design patterns that are used in the book, referring to
the patterns within it as `Gang Of Four Patterns.'