Re: [NTLK] NCU and MacOS X on PB G3

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 13:47:23 EDT

On 24/10/02 12:11, "andrew_at_misf67.cern.ch" <andrew_at_misf67.cern.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally have started to switch and I have installed MacOs X (10.1.5) on
> my good old Powerbook G3 (250MHz). It is faster than I had expected. This
> machine has a real derial port.
>
> But, when I start NCU (in classic) I get an error 78 because it could not
> configure the printer-modem port. The only possibility seems to be
> connecting via appletalk. Does anyone know how to make the serial port
> available again for NCU under classic??

Unfortunately, unless some driver is written, you won't be able to use the
serial ports on your PowerBook because serial support in OS X is simply not
there. All USB-to-Serial adapters on the market for OS X always come with a
driver that you need to install. So, even though your machine has serial
ports, there are not used by OS X.

-Laurent.

buzzword-compliant: [also `buzzword-enabled'] Used (disparagingly) of
products that seem to have been specified to incorporate all of this month's
trendy technologies. Key buzzwords that often show up in buzzword-compliant
specifications as of 2001 include `XML', `Java', `peer-to-peer',
`distributed', and `open'.