Re: [NTLK] Pauls future direction...

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 01:00:47 EST

It works with Eckhart's MAD Newton (http://www.40hz.org/MADNewton/)

>I think a future project that would maximally benefit all Newton users
>would be some attempt to analyze/optimize the current NIE
>implementation.

I know.

>I don't really know why the current NIE rig appears to be as slow as it
>is, but I feel pretty sure that it is NOT optimal. Perhaps, this has
>to do with NIEs buffer handling and ability to work in small memory
>model? Perhaps if a NIE used much larger buffers (on ATA?)?. I digress.

The reason why SimpleMail and Newtscape are so slow is that they ask
NIE to send them raw data as arrays of integers.
So here we have the NewtonScript heap that suffers from a big array
plus the fact that each byte (8 bits) is represented by a
NewtonScript integer (32 bits in memory). Plus all the type check
when you access it.
It would be more convenient to have binaries there.
Plus it would be better if the C++ code handled more of the transfer
(like sending HTTP requests, checking the result, etc).

>Paul, you are the man, you have demonstrated repeatedly your ability
>to decipher the guts of Apple's bug full and undocumented code, and
>somehow (Thanks so much!!) fix it too.

Thanks Marty.

Recently I've been working with Nicolas Zinovieff on an open source
multi-platform framework to replace Apple's
DILs/NCU/NBU/NPI/NTK/NewtonPress/etc. We got AppleTalk working on OS
X. We need to finish to implement the Dock protocol.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/