Re: [NTLK] Cheap 2100's, too good to be true?

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 02:33:49 EST

Charles Isaac <newton_at_aslannet.org> wrote:

> Some of the problems:
>
> No screen cover and rather expensive to buy when you find them.

$12.95 from a list member.

> No blank PC card slots

Search the archives for the past week or so for 'blanks.'

> high shipping charges (of course most on ebay seem high these days.
> $14.99 seems high

Agreed ....

> Stylus - is the cheap kind that are through away.

Yeah; I gave mine away as soon as I saw it. Fortunately, I had an
eMate stylus that I picked up for ~$2.00 at www.styluscentral.com.
 Unfortunately, they are sold out.

> You do not see the one you are getting

Agreed .....

> No Battery Cage

Mine had one.

> No battery charger (AC adaptor)

Stated in the listing.

> unable to use out of the box

Mine worked out of the box -- well, after I plugged it in, that is
(no, it didn't come with an adapter).

> The bottom line is that you are not done at $60. You will have to
pop
> for a cage or a AC adaptor.

Well, I would say that the bottom line is that all auctions are
different, read the listing carefully to determine what is included
and what is not (that's what 'caveat emptor' means, right?). If you
are going for a low budget upgraded 2x00, it's going to be cheap, and
sure, you'll have to hunt around for stuff -- just make sure you don't
have to hunt around for necessities like batteries.

If you don't want to hunt for stuff, buy a unit from Gem for $300 or
so.

My $.0075 ......

--gdw