Re: [NTLK] Looking at buying my first Newton

From: James Elliott (james.elliott_at_newted.org)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 21:29:51 EST

>Hello all. I'm shopping around for a Newton (2100 or 2000 upgraded to
>a 2100) and saw a photo of one with a white backlight and a black LCD
>screen instead of green. Is this the difference between a 2100 and an
>upgraded 2000, or is it a different model?

The white backlight is an aftermarket addition.

>I'm also looking for a case. Does anyone have a recommendation?
>
>Of course I will need software. I came across this ad on eBay:
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1393445459 any
>comments?

Stay far away from this. It is probably just a pirated copy of the
UNNA CDs. UNNA (http://www.unna.org) is the most complete archive
around, and if you feel like buying a CD for your convenience, the
proceeds go to keeping the archive up, not to lining some scheming
chump's pocket.

>As I understand it, I can connect the Newton to my 17" iMac with the
>Newton dongle and a USB to serial converter?

Yep. I believe that the Keyspan adaptor has had the best results for
list members, but others will chime in on this.

>I am using iCal, iMail, and the Mac address book. What software can I
>use to sync to these programs and how can I copy *.pkg files from my
>desktop to the Newton?

nSync is still in the works, but it's what you're looking for
sync-wise (http://www.everchanging.com/newton). NewTen
(http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen) is one of the
package installation options.

>I have a compact flash card (64 and 128MB) with pcmcia adapters. Is
>there a driver I can install on the Newton that will allow me to use
>this cards?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe Solin

Paul Guyots ATA driver is what you need for that
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/?lg=en).

-James