Re: [NTLK] Newton- as sole repository for class notes

From: scOtty Technoir (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 23:49:37 EST

> I know some of the people on the list have used the Newt almost
> exclusively
> for their class notes at one time or another; any experience along those
> lines (serious stationery use) that I could pass along would be
> appreciated.

i've been using my 2K for school almost exclusively [everything but math
class] for a year. this may not sound incredible, but bear in mind that my
classes are quite technical and include, for example, C code examples and
snippets. The Newt handles this almost effortlessly. The HWR really shines
here; the first time i wrote C++ i got of course Ctt but C++ was in the
correction menu. After correcting it that time, it very rarely [once or
twice in 8 months] missed it afterwards. i was constantly impressed by the
way it handled code. an excerpt from my notes [don't laugh at my beginner C
stuff here..]:

int operator < (time_c &a, time_c &b)
{
        if (a.h<b.h)
                if (a.m<b.m)
                        return 1;
        return 0;
}

and all this was done without much pain with the stock HWR.

since i got my keyboard [propz to !ooW] i find myself using Works more and
more because Notes is *very* annoying as word processor. Works is nice but i
wish it had the Outline functionality.

Since i have some stuff in Notes and some in Works, i tie it all together
with HyperNewt for locating things. For example, i have a folder for my
Cisco Network class containing some Notes, some Works docs, and a link to
the Name file for my instructor. i like HyperNewt alot, but as a Notes
replacement it is sometimes buggy. i had all sorts of trouble simply
hilighting text without it locking up. whether this was HN or something else
i don't know. i can select text perfectly well in Works, so i am happy.
also, if i follow a link to a Works document, i get a -8007 error
[exception not handled] when Works opens. not user if this is Works or HN
messing around; i simply clear the error and carry on.

so.. as far as using the Newt for school: absolutely could not be without
for a single day. ymmv. it is a quirky beast and sometimes lets me down
[crash crash] but a 21K should be better all around for any conceivable use.
i think the 130 actually has more heap than the 2K [???] but you should be
fine with your machine. rock and roll, forward the green!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html