Re: [NTLK] Avoid GEM ENTERPRISES

From: njv50_at_hotmail.com
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 09:04:09 PDT

On 9/3/02 9:00 AM, "Humphreys, David (URB)" <david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com>
wrote:

> First of all, let me be clear, I have no affiliation with GEM enterprises.

Nor do I.

> It would seem, by the content of Mr. Ozguners' email, that GEM are little more
> than pond-scum. However, a quick check of their feedback shows 3209
> transactions with 9 negatives over 6 months old. This would indicate a ~0.003%
> dissatisfaction rate. Is this what he means by 'TERRIBLE feedback'?

Not necessarily indicative of the actual quality of the transaction. In Mr.
Ozguners' letter he states that GEM threatened to leave negative feedback if
the buyer left negative feedback for GEM. That would be a nice 'big stick'
to use that would certainly diminish the number of negative feedback
postings against GEM. Since there is really nothing you can do to remove the
negatives once posted, this is a pretty big and powerful stick to be waving
in the face of a customer.

> Also, generalizations that they threaten users with negative feedback may or
> may not be true. Perhaps, in the case(s) of people you have talked to, it is
> true but you cannot apply it across the board without speaking to EVERYONE.

No, you can't apply it to everyone. However, having been in a situation with
GEM where *I* screwed up during the deal, I personally can attest that GEM
does in fact, threaten people in this manner. And the old saying, 'where's
there's smoke, there's fire' would seem appropriate here. Even if just a few
people have said this has been their experience, that should be enough to at
least give you a heads up when dealing with GEM.

That said, I can also say that I have purchased from GEM in the past. Other
than shipping charges that I think are a little on the outrageous side and
this odd practice regarding feedback, I have been extremely satisfied in my
dealings with them and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again at any
time. The product has always arrived well-packed, in a timely fashion,
exactly as described and communication with them has been outstanding during
every step of the transaction.

Always remember; in any purchase you make, no matter where you buy, you need
to make sure that you read *everything* in the posting or on the display or
whatever. It is up to you to make sure that you understand the terms of the
purchase. The seller is not required to run up to you when you shop and hand
you a nice letter outlining the terms of the deal. If there is something
that is unclear to you or you just aren't sure about, that is what the
'write to seller' link is for. Write 'em and ask or go to the store manager
and ask. You'll find out what you need to know and if you aren't satisfied
with the answer, walk away.

Jim