Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt

From: Oliver Leaman (oliverleaman_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 12:51:30 PDT

I have taken my Newton through an array of security systems around the world
and never had any problems with any form of apparatus.

Oliver

>From: Ed Kummel >Reply-To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net >To:
newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net >Subject: Re: [NTLK] Travel and the Newt >Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:57:30 -0700 (PDT) >>>As an aside: I remember that someone
here on the list >x-rayed a Newton. It was really cool looking and he >then
colorized it for an even cooler effect! >Photography people are saying that
RAM cards aren't >affected by the x-ray machines and are recommending >that
if photographers are concerned with the x-ray >fogging their film, to either
have it hand checked >(faa regulations allows the traveler the right to
>request a hand inspection of their photographic >equipment in lieu of
scanning it) >http://www.faa.gov/avr/AFS/FARS/far-108.txt >Scroll down to
section 108.17 section 5e. The last >paragraph is the most important. >>Some
of the articles I read say that if you're really >paranoid to just Fed-Ex
your film back home...I guess >you could do this with a RAM card as well...
>Ed >web/gadget guru >http://newton.tek-ed.com (download Newton packages)
>http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new >subdomain) >>--- Rolf
Brakvatne wrote: >>>>Thanks Ed. >>>>I have heard that the latest checked
baggage >>scanners are quite >>powerful. Could they damage the flash cards
inthe >>checked bags? >>>>RB >>On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 11:37 AM,
Ed>>Kummel wrote: >>>>>Oh yeah, bring a spare memory card and do a backup
>>of >>>your Newt before leaving home and before traveling >>>back home.
Packthe backup in your checked >>baggage. >>>This will save your butt incase
the Newton is >>>destroyed for some reason...at least you will have >>a
>>>"current" backup! >>>>>>--- Rolf Brakvatne wrote: >>>>>>>>This may have
been addressed before. Is there any >>>>danger of having a >>>>Newt go
through airport scanners? >>===== >"Bush, himself the most intellectually
backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by
advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and
diplomatic illiteracy," >- Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing
You Yahoo!? >Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
>http://finance.yahoo.com >>-- >Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html >Read the Newton FAQ:
http://www.newtontalk.net/ >

--- Links ---