Re: [NTLK] Sharing DSL Connection

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 20:21:29 PDT

on 03/09/02 23:08, Brian Carstensen at reggie.lives_at_netzero.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 09:44 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> Since you've been messing around this for some time, why not makes you
>> life
>> easier? Get a cheap, compatible Ethernet card for your Newton (some are
>> selling for around $20 USD), and get a cable/DSL router for about $60
>> USD.
>> The router will negotiate the PPPoP connection and will act as router
>> for
>> the computers on your network. I think you can share an Ethernet
>> connection
>> over LocalTalk using MacIP, but it requires an old Apple software that
>> won't
>> run natively on OS X, and is hard to find.
>
> How hard is a router to set up? I think we've got one lying around from
> when we were setting up DSL, but we never got it to work. Is it just a
> matter of replacing the hub, or are there all kinds of craaazy settings
> to mess with?
>
> Huge thanks for the reply! :)

Usually, it's just a matter of replacing the hub. You might have to
configure it to act as a DHCP server if this feature is not active by
default, but it's relatively easy, just one radio button to click, and
saving the configuration. I have a Linksys router and the configuration is
done through a web browser. No specific application, available from every
computer, no complain!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
BUAG // n.: [abbreviation, from alt.fan.warlord] Big Ugly ASCII Graphic.
Pejorative term for ugly ASCII art, especially as found in sig blocks. For
some reason, mutations of the head of Bart Simpson are particularly common
in the least imaginative sig blocks. See warlording.