Re: [NTLK] Newton newbie

From: Michael Sciascia (msciascia_at_poc.it)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 06:22:52 PDT

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 03:04 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> You're exactly right. That's the chicken and egg problem. If you had
> someone
> with a Newton near you, they could load the packages you need on an
> external
> flash RAM card that you could then use. If that is not an option, then,
> yes,
> IrDA is a possibility. You need to have a Macintosh that is IrDA
> capable and
> the Newton DIL Tester from Thomas Tempelmann <http://www.tempel.org/>.
>
> Or, you'll need to get a USB to Serial adapter, or a LocalTalk to
> Ethernet
> bridge, like the AsanteTalk.
>
> -Laurent.

My Titanium has the irDA and it works also on OS X 10.1.5, so I should
be able to tranfer data to the newton with this system.
If it won't work I will just buy the serial cable (quite hard to find
with the adapter) and transfer drivers and packages with my old Performa
or Classic ;-)
Anyway I would certainly prefer to find another solution, and the irDa
seems to be my best option.
I also looked for the ethernet adapter on the web site you suggested me,
but couldn't find anything. is there a place were it is quite easy to
find Newton accessories other than ebay?
But if I buy a Flash RAM or other support can I load by myself the data
to the Newton? And not just to add packages and drivers, but also for
future use?
How can i give the Newton storage capabilities (floppy, compact flash,
etc)?

thanks for the kindness and patience but everything is still so
confusing for me.
maybe i should just wait for the Newton to arrive and then worry about
all these things, but I would also be able to use it as soon as
possible :-)

Ciao,
Michael