Re: [NTLK] [OT] Travel and the Newt

From: Robert Locatelli (sickofthecrap_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 06:26:08 PDT

> Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it brainless. Even if security
isn't
> increased one bit, if the general public FEELS more secure and therefore
> returns to flying, the part of the economic engine that depends upon air
> travel returns toward normal.
The need to travel could be reduced to an absolute minimum.
Videoconferencing and the like could be developed much further in such a way
that everybody would like to avoid travelling. We have all the necessary
abilities to do that but there's to much artifically created needs which
waste many efforts and finally lead into destruction. We'll also need more
time to really understand what happend @ 9/11 last year and to realize what
the real background was.

> Even a fairly leaky security system can be effective in preventing
> MULTIPLE armed people from getting onto a plane. A system that's only 2/3
> effective in detecting armed individuals provides about 90% protection
> against TWO and about 97% effectiveness against 3.
This is a pure assumption using probability rules and does not apply under
other circumstances. Any next attack could be completely different from what
we've ever seen before.

--
roloc