Re: [NTLK] Newton newbie

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 03:50:06 PDT

on 9/6/02 2:16 AM, Michael Sciascia at msciascia_at_poc.it wrote:

> Which are the best ways to connect the Newton to my Tibook with
> OSX/OS9.2.2?
> Maybe ethernet? I read that it is possible to add ethernet to teh
> newton, how? And where can i find such accessories at a fair price?
> I would also buy the serial cable with adapter to connect the newton to
> my PowerBook G4, but I should also buy a USB/serial adapter. Would it
> work?

Definitely ethernet is the best way to go for normal use. However, there
will be times that you need serial, as it is the native way of communicating
with the desktop for the Newton. So, you should probably buy yourself the
dongle and a Keyspan or Belkin or some other sort of serial to USB adapter
for those emergency occassions, even if you use ethernet for most of your
communications. Does the TiBook do IrDA? If it does, you can use Newton DIL
tester to install packages via IrDA. That is also native on the 2k series.
That was how I conquered the chicken/egg dilemma on my 2100 and Pismo.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland