[NTLK] Help! Busted Stylus! :-(

From: Christopher Fisher (cfisher_at_mailbag.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 23:55:53 PDT

Hi all,

I'm new here (just joined a few mins. ago), and though I have been a Mac
owner for 5 1/2 years, I just bought my first "newt" about 2 1/2 weeks ago
off of e-bay (MP 120, OS 1.3). I love it, and take it everywhere with me.
HOWEVER-I've run into a problem!

To try to make a long and strange story short, when shopping Friday night, I
accidently fumbled the stylus for my Newton onto the store floor (about a 3
1/2 to 4 foot drop). I picked it up, thinking it was undamaged, and
continued on. Before I finished shoping, I put it to the tablet of the
Netwon and it bent! Well, the tip did. I figured it maybe got knocked a
little lose in the fall, and it did seem loose, so I tightend it and went on
my merry way.

Fast forward to Saturday night. I was out, and showing my Newton to some
friends when I started to write on the tablet and-you guessed it-the tip of
the stylus bent again. It was perfectly tight, so I unscrewed it and found
a major crack in the base of the collar of the stylus barrel. :-( After I
got home, I tried gluing it back together, and thought for good measure I
might as well glue the tip on as well. Big mistake! I put some glue on the
threads, and it was too viscous, and caught the tip, which caused the collar
to rip off altogeher, most of it stuck in the tip! :-( (Yeah, I
know-stupid. What can I say?)

Well, ever since then I've been trying to figure out what to do. I've been
doing the old retractable plastic pen trick, but that is not only
inconvienent, but looks dumb, too. As a last gasp, I tried filing down the
remnant of the collar on the barrel (there wasn't much there-almost nothing)
and that which was still sticking out of the tip, and gluing it together.
I've tried this three times already and had it fail three times. I'm trying
it one last time, but don't hold out much hope it will work. I've also
posted my plight to Newtontalk2, and gotten a few responses, but thought I
would try here to see if I could get any more ideas. I have looked at the
Newton FAQ and in the archive of This Old Newt, and both say that I can get
replacement styluses from Apple for it. But Sun Remarketing says they are
not available any more, and one of the responses I got on Newtontalk2
indicated that I'll basically have to haunt e-bay until something shows up.
I am thinking of trying my local Apple reseller (he often has a lot of old
stuff around), but I'm not too optimistic there, either-I don't ever
remember him carrying Newtons even when Apple was still making them.

Anyway, that's my sad, sad story. Any help, info, advice will be much
appriciated. Thanks in advance.

All the Best,

Chris