Re: [NTLK] [OT] [att: Mac Gurus (ie Not Ed K)] Mac HD info

From: Grant [Sparkle] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 08:15:38 PDT

In a previous message, Victor Rehorst typed vigorously:

>A really cool thing is that since a SCSI controller is just another SCSI
>device that sends different commands, you could have two controllers in
>separate computers sharing access to one hard drive (as long as the drive
>was only mounted on one computer at a time).

In fact, at the place I used to work we had a system called SCSINet which
did just that. You connected all of your high capacity RAIDs and assorted
other drives to a central SCSI controller. This controller acted like a
network hub and connected to each of your workstations (in this case,
several PowerMac 8100s) via 40 and 80 foot long UltraSCSI cables. The
cool thing about this system was that while a particular drive or
partition could be read/write accessed by only one workstation at a time,
the partitions could be mounted on all machines at the same time with
read access. I still have the controller and the miles of SCSI cables in
my basement... (big surprise, eh?)

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/
Online community web site handyman. http://www.newted.net/