[NTLK] [OT] iMac firmware woes :( Please help me!

From: J. Eagan Rackley (jrackley_at_electronicbingo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 14:44:05 PDT

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about posting this to the newton list, but you're the only mac
people I know. So, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I just got myself a nice little bondi blue iMac 233 (the one with the
IR) that had OS 8.5 on there.

So, I says to myself, that I might as well upgrade it to OS 8.6, and the
updater says, "Your firmware is out of date..."

Ok, so, I goes out to apple, and gets me the firmware updates that they
recommend (namely 1.2). I run the update, reboot (it doesn't ask me to
hold down the programming button with a paper clip because of REV A I
believe). Anyway, so I watch with high hopes while the firmware updates
(little progress bar at the bottom) then it switches back off, and does
not come on again!!!!!!!!!

(I get that little orange power button forever instead of the green
one). Ok, so I remove the power cable for 15 seconds, and power up and I
get back into Mac OS just fine. It tells me my firmware updated ok, and
I think all is hunkeydorkey.

NO! I decided to test it out with a restart, and *poof* orange button
again. Nothing on the display.

So, what it pans out to is after I updated the firmware I have to unplug
the power cord for 15 seconds any time I want to boot into the OS.
Otherwise I get nothing.

Also, the little, "thrrummmmm" that all macs make when you first turn
them on isn't there anymore. I also notice a folder with a flashing ? in
it, and then a MacOS folder of the same size appear before it starts
booting into the OS.

Oddly enough, my computer (which has 96 mb of ram) seems to be accessing
the virtual memory a LOT more than it was before.

I'm just not sure what to do :(. Can anyone who has Mac experience help
me? I've looked online to no avail. I managed to get into the boot
command line utility once, but after I did reset-nvram, and reset-all I
haven't been able to figure out how to get back into it again! :(. I'm
actually stuck using a PC keyboard + mouse through a USB converter
because the seller forgot to include my KB and mouse. (So I know that
the window button is the command key, but I'm not sure what other
buttons do what).

If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it:). My wife
is So about to kill me:)

Regards,

Eagan