Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie (2100 in the mail!)

From: Ashley Campbell (awc2_at_buyclamsonline.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 16:19:02 PDT

On Thursday, Sep 12, 2002, at 18:27 US/Eastern, The Coffee Fiend wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm a bit of a newbie of a Newton owner, but an old hand at the
> Macintosh. I just purchased a Newton 2100 which is in the mail as I'm
> writing this.

I'm a total newbie, too, but I've found a lot of very helpful
information on the web in the week I've had my 2100.

> 2) Can I use standard AA batteries? (or is it AAA?) or does that
> require
> some special holder for the newton that I might not have?

You'll need a sled for that. It's far more likely that the 9W AC
adapter is easier to find and is cheaper. Rechargability is a boon when
working with 802.11b, as well.

> 3) What is the current status of 802.11b wireless ethernet
> compatability? I know the farallon wireless card is supposed to be
> supported, but I recently found out about another card that works in my
> PB 1400c (Mac<somebody> god I can't remember. Bookmarked it at work.)
> and I was wondering if these cards would work.

It's pretty darned good. I've been using an Orinoco silver with my
AirPort network at home and with the Lucent-based network at school. It
all seems to 'just work.'

Good luck, and have fun.

-awc