Re: [NTLK] eMate battery pack rebuild - parts IDs?

From: Stephanie Maks (newton_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 05:57:34 PDT

> Hmm, and I'm sure I'm not the first eMate owner to wonder how to use
> standard NiMH AA cells in place of a battery pack. I'd also like to be
> able to quickly and easily replace the main battery without having to
> keep a Torx8 nearby . . . Plus, what happens to the eMate when one
> removes the main battery for a moment when changing it? All settings lost?
>
> Anyone already solve these so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel?

Have a look at this web page:
http://www.felesmagus.com/newton/otheremate.html

I modified my eMate to accept regular sized AA's, I use high capacity NiMHs
in it, but in a pinch it will run fine on regular alkelines. I still use
the Torx screws to hold the lid on, but you could easily use screws with any
kind of head on them, just find some with the right threads.

I suppose a catch or knob could be fashioned that would replace the screws.
I hadn't really thought of that because I very rarely (well, so far never)
need to replace the NiMH's.

-Stephanie

ps. when removing the main battery, even for a brief moment, the time and
date are lost. No data is lost. The eMate does not have a back-up
capacitor like the MP2x00 does (though it wouldn't be too hard to add one).