Re: [NTLK] New to List; Battery Questions

From: Travis (ferrit_at_oznet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 10:20:16 PDT

Hey thanks,
        I've never even seen a 2x00, so getting these will be fun to get running.

Johannes Wolf wrote:
> The original battery pack has 4 AA size NiMH cells giving around 5.5 Volts
> if fully charged. The Newt works well down to 4.8 Volts provided from the
> batteries.

> Feeding the Newt via the power adaptor plug would open the possibility to
> use up to absolute MAXIMUM 7.5 Volts. So you could use 2 Li-ion cells
> providing around 7.5 Volts in series if you connect them to the adaptor
> plug.

Without batteries in the Newt, is there a need for more than 5-6 volts
to the adaptor port? We've got lots of 1.2 NmH "AA" and "C"s laying
around, A 5 cell pack would provide ~ 6V to the port and if alkaline
were needed it would still be a safe 7.5V
> As long as you do
> not charge batteries inside the Newt, the current limitation at 1.2 Amps is
> not used and needed (Newt will draw ca. 120 mAmps maximum with backlight)

5 "C"s should last a while. :)

> And there is another choice you did not mention:
> try to get battery trays for the Newt.
> You can use either alkalines or NiMHs (but without the possibility to charge
> them in the Newt as long as you do not modify the tray)

Right now they seen to be going for twice what I paid for one 2100, and
these 2100s WILL stay in the leather cases if my daughters want to keep
useing them. :}

Anybody know the Radio Shack part # for the connector to plug into the
adaptor port?