Re: [NTLK] Decent Calendar

From: Steve Vander Ark (vderark_at_bccs.org)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 08:49:11 PDT

I've been a huge fan of DateMan for years. I also own TimeTrax,
MoreInfo, and Action Names. I do like DateMan the best, although that's
may be because I'm so used to it. I do like MoreInfo too, and I think
that software is more actively supported than DateMan. Action Names I
don't recommend. As I recall, it creates its own soups instead of using
the built-in Names etc., which is utterly insane when you think about
it. TimeTrax is superb in the way it displays information, but doesn't
do as much in the way of linking and organizing (although there may be
newer versions than the one I have, so check the website). I also used
to use PIMple on my 130 for quick schedule checks, but frankly my 2100
starts any program up so fast that I don't need smaller apps to do that
kind of thing anymore and i++ makes any program instantly available no
matter what I'm doing.

The real power of the Newton comes out when you use programs like
DateMan and MoreInfo. Add SuperNotePad and BackYard in and you have a
tool that is so well interconnected that you find yourself wishing your
fancy desktop machines would be half as useful. The ability to create a
note from within DateMan, any stationery, and have it included as part
of your agenda, is fantastic. Then to be able to link a couple of name
cards, a to-do, and another Notepad page to that notepad page makes
everything seamlessly connect together. It's totally task oriented.
Names, checklists, emails, anything at all on my Newton that could be
connected to the job at hand can be linked to one another, and I can
have that appear in DateMan or on the BackYard or in NotePad. Links make
it easy to jump from one of these to another without having to search
for them or try to remember what folder I put them in. Someone once
referred to the Newton as in information "surfboard" and I think that's
exactly right. You so easily navigate through your information and so
effortlessly access the widely varied bits and pieces that you need to
do what you need to do.

Steve