Re: [NTLK] is there a way to convert stationary?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 10:27:24 PDT

>But, can Notepad Converter convert *ANY* kind of Notepad stationaries? I
>have it on my Newton, along with MoreInfo, which introduces a new
stationary
>for the notepad called "Card Note". When I open Notepad Converter, however,
>it doesn't give me this new "Card Note". So, it seems it can convert notes
>that were done with the built-in stationaries. It's very unlikely that you
>would uninstall one of those, and every Newton with NOS 2.0 supports those
>stationaries.
>
>To specifically answer the first poster, although I haven't wrote any
>notepad stationary, I know a bit how they work and I can tell you that it
>would be very hard to write a universal notepad converter, since any
>stationary can add some specialized slots or info to the notepad soup, so
>converting such stationary with custom info would be almost impossible...
>
>-Laurent.

I do understand how soups work (for the most part) and how each line is
really a different slot and each stationary is custom (usually though some
slots appear to be duplicated though out several different stationaries, so
could be converted without too much trouble I would think).

Ok here is the question of the day, if I export say a call with the custom
Moreinfo stationary using NCU....could I reimport it back in with the
standard call stationary? Or is there some way?

I realize that a converter *on the fly* in the Newt would certainly be
different but is there something that will export and reimport, preferably
with a ability to customize which data goes to which line (slot)? I would
think that at some point someone is going to need a stationary that is not
available anymore (due to the package being keycoded and lost the key). And
now needs to be able to read the data again. OR they tried out a package
that was timebomed and didn't like it, but did save data in its unique
stationary and now it is no longer visible.

I have not run into this yet, but I have been playing with various
stationaries and have to wonder when I might fall into this category so I am
trying to avoid that pitfall heh.

-Dan