Re: [NTLK] Slow Web Browsing on a Wireless Connection?

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 11:27:55 PDT

hello --

newtscape has huge system overhead -- it's translating everything it
reads in into a newtonbook. i've never really understood the thoughts
behind that, except that it was initially designed to create
newtonbooks, not browse the web. nethopper is much better in that
regard, but doesn't support http 1.1, making it rather useless for a
lot of sites.

what we really need is a lightweight browser that supports tables,
maybe even frames, supports compressed html (for ebooks) and is http
1.1 aware. nothing like that exists, as far as i know.

ttm

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 07:28 AM, unk na wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a messagepad 2100 with a 32 meg storage card. Recently I got
> ahold of a D-link dwl-650 wireless pcmcia card.
>
> I downloaded the 802.11b driver from the Wireless Lab site and
> installed. Everything works perfectly.
>
> Now, the problem: why is browsing using NewtsCape (or the others)
> sooooo slow? It's absolutely ridiculous - sometimes I wait like more
> than five minutes to load a single website? My wireless setup is
> broadband! When my buddy visits, his laptop with the wireless card
> works just fine.
>
> I am aware that the messagepad is older and all that, but it seems to
> me like it should load pages a little faster with a fast connection.
> So I'm thinking that maybe there is something on my Newton that is
> slowing everything down? Is there something I can do to check, or is
> there some way to clean out the Newton system and optimize?
>
> Thanks for any help regarding this. I would really like to use my
> messagepad as a wireless "webpad" around the house, but it is pretty
> much useless unless I can speed it up.
>
> nr256

******
"Everybody's a wimp except for two Jedis and some funky amphibian
rastafarians?" --David Brin on Star Wars Ep 1