Re: [NTLK] Newton 120 screen problem

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 21:10:52 PDT

on 29/09/02 09:33, Joe Bosak at joe_at_bosak.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> I've just bought a 120 MessagePad and I have found the screen flickers a
> lot. It seems mostly to go blank when the Newton is busy - calling up a
> note or application, processing a click or a letter that's been entered.
> etc.
>
> New batteries don't seem to make any difference. Any sometimes it flcikers
> even when nothing's going on. Pressing reset inside the battery case
> doesn't make any difference to this flicker.
>
> By "flicker" I mean the screen goes momentarily blank - it's as though the
> power isn't being kept up.
>
> Is this normal for a Newton (this is the first one I've used), or do I have
> a problem - and if so, is there anything that can be done to fix it?

That's definitely not normal. I suspect that there are some loose
connections between the screen and the motherboard. How to fix it is a
different story, though...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
CLM /C-L-M/: [Sun: `Career Limiting Move'] 1. n. An action endangering one's
future prospects of getting plum projects and raises, and possibly one's
job: "His Halloween costume was a parody of his manager. He won the prize
for `best CLM'." 2. adj. Denotes extreme severity of a bug, discovered by a
customer and obviously missed earlier because of poor testing: "That's a CLM
bug!"