Re: [NTLK] simplemail

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 06:14:03 PDT

on 30/09/02 05:28, ZUMWALT, DANNY P (SWBT) at dz1317_at_sbc.com wrote:

> I think what it is is where I am accessing mail, there is a proxy firewall,
> but I can't find where to put my proxy settings in simple mail for it to
> connect to the mail server and download my mail..
>
> can i not use simplemail through a proxy server?
> dz
>
>>> I can't get simple mail to download my .mac email.. In the In/Out app, i
>> click
>>> receive then SimpleMail (after setting up my owner info settings with
>> the pop
>>> address and such) and it connects fine, logs into mail.mac.com then
>>> disconnects without getting the mail!? I am missing something, but I
>> can't
>>> find it.. please help, thanks
>>>
>>> dz
>>
>> You could try to turn on verbose logging in the internet setup you're
>> using.
>> You might be able to see something. Other than that, double-check your
>> password and account ID.

Proxy setting? For mail? I haven't seen this. Usually, if there is a
firewall, you'll be limited with the kind of things you can do on the
internet (like http browsing, ftp, etc.) and for those things that they will
allow you to do, you'll have to authenticate yourself, like if you go in the
NetHopper preferences, you'll see proxy settings there, but for email? I've
never seen this. Make sure your email account ID and password are entered
correctly. One mistake people do sometimes is that they enter their full
email address in the account ID field where they should enter only the first
part of the address, i.e. Instead of entering laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net,
you should be entering laurent.daudelin. Other than that, I don't know.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
frag n.,v.: [from Vietnam-era U.S. military slang via the games Doom and
Quake] 1. To kill another player's avatar in a multiuser game. "I hold the
office Quake record with 40 frags." 2. To completely ruin something. "Forget
that power supply, the lightning strike fragged it. See also gib.