Re: [NTLK] Soybo and a newbie

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 03:21:49 PST

>>Both wireless stations operate as local DHCP servers and all my gear
>>(macs and pc's) get an assigned IP address from the station.

>I think what you are missing here, Alan, is that you have to find out
>the address your DHCP server is currently running, and enter that number
>as your server on your Newton.

Not sure what the issue is but I'm sure something simple is overlooked :)

but helpful info, I don't THINK anyone has mentioned it yet, but there's a
package "Thumb" that can be used as a very primitive "ping" with IP
addresses- i.e., no DNS lookup if you use a numeric address to test with.
If for some reason IP addressing works then you know you screwed up your
DNS stuff somewhere.

You have to pick an IP that you know will send an ack, some servers will
not respond back. One of your home machines on the same router as the
Newton should be fine; apple.com or cnn.com will likely ignore you :)

HTH.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html