Re: [NTLK] Jaggies - software related?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 14:24:35 PDT

On 11/04/03 17:13, "Shawn H" <unity_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Hi All, I am new to the list but certainly not to the Newt. About a year
> ago I purchased a 2100 off of eBay, a few weeks later it met a busy road
> and a Uhaul. (Never leave stuff on top of ones car and drive off!) Well,
> of course the little Newton was fine, scratched to high heaven, a few
> cracks and some tread marks. (My cell phone was toasted) Well, I
> continued to use the Newton for a long time before I decided to get
> another, better looking one - plus the "jaggies" had become an issue.
>
> I was wondering is software could be an issue with Jaggies? I have
> looked all over and it does not seem possible but my new 2100 is doing
> the EXACT same thing were the pen is becoming uncalibrated on the lower
> right sector of the screen. I have cleaned and finally disassembled the
> unit to clean any debris, no luck. I run pen alignment and right after,
> its off but never gets worse. Just FYI: The original 2100 data was a
> RESTORE from a backup on a 2MB card in a 120 that died, and the newer
> 2100 was another restore of a backup the last 2100 on that same card.
>
> Shawn Hamachek

Over the years, there have been some speculations about what is causing the
jaggies. Some said it was dirty contacts between the touchscreen and the
mobo, some said it was debris accumulating on the edge of the case, some
said it was too much pressure from the case itself on the right hand side,
and finally, some said that after a while, specially if you never cleaned
it, the system soup becomes so large that corruption is likely to occur, in
which case, some bogus values can affect the whole system. So, you could try
to do a backup and do a hard reset to bring the unit to factory defaults. If
you can, try to use if for a few days and see what happens. If you can't do
that, you could try to restore from your backup, but don't restore the
system soup. You'll probably have to do a backup with Newton Connection
Utilities to do a selective backup. Most registration numbers that you
entered for any application you bought will likely have to be reentered, not
mentioning all your settings that will be gone...

So, you decide if it's annoying enough to try this...

-Laurent.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html