Re: [NTLK] MP120 Batteries (again)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 11:29:01 PDT

Quoting kwshoes <kwshoes_at_spamcop.net>:

> I asked this question here about two weeks ago and got no responses, o I'd
> like to try again.
>
> I have an MP120, a Charging Station H0087, and two H0088 Newton
> Rechargeable Battery packs.
>
> I've never been able to get the Battery packs to work in the MP120. I've
> tried some of the battery reconditiong ideas I found out about here.
>
> I can put the Battery Pack into the Charging Station and it will
> (apparently) charge, that is, the light on the Charging Station starts out
> yellow and eventually turns green. I don't have a multimeter to verify a
> charge.
>
> The pack will not, however, charge when in the MP120.
>
> After giving a full charge in the Charging Station, I can put it into the
> MP120 and it will work for about 10 minutes then quit.

Try this:

Take four run-of-the-mill Nickel Cadmium (that's NiCad, *Not* NiMH)
rechargable AA cells. In your 120's battery compartment, take a thin piece of
cardboard and place it over the square pushbutton in the compartment such that
when you put some AAs in, they will push down on the cardboard and keep the
switch depressed. Put your AA NiCads in. Now do two tests:

1) Place the 120 on the cradle. Will it charge the batteries in the 120?
2) Plug your AC adapter directly into the 120, bypassing the cradle. Will it
charge the batteries?

If both 1 and 2 fail, then there's a problem with your 120.

If both 1 and 2 succeed, then there's a problem with your battery packs - most
likely they are too old. You can easily rebuild them with fresh NiCad cells,
see here:
http://www.pda-soft.de/body_mp_1x0_battery_pack.html

If 1 fails but 2 succeeds, then there's a problem with the cradle. You can
disassemble it and see if there's a obvious problem somewhere:
http://www.pda-soft.de/body_chargestationdisassemble.html

If 1 succeeds but 2 fails, ?????

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html