Re: [NTLK] Orinoco Silver + NAT

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 11:35:17 PDT

On 4/14/03 12:21 PM, "Sonya Hipper" <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an interesting situation, and I was hoping one of the mighty
> crania on the list could help me out.
>
> I have an Orinoco Silver card in my Newt 2100, and I'm able to send
> mail, browse, etc. at work, but not send mail at home. The setups are
> identical, but for one thing: The AirPort station at work isn't doing
> Network Address Translation (NAT), but rather distributing IPs out on
> the 'net itself, while the home AirPort is, distributing a range of IPs
> on my internal LAN.
>
> I can browse in NewtsCape on the home setup, but SimpleMail hangs
> resolving my POP server's address (mail.earthlink.net).
>
> Details: Home setup is Earthlink DSL with Linksys router doing DHCP and
> NAT, and AirPort station hooked into Linksys, distributing addresses
> with DHCP but no NAT of its own. It's set to 40-bit WEP, but so is
> work. Setting a manual IP address doesn't seem to help, nor does
> changing DNS servers.

Sounds like, from what you describe, the problem you are having is in the
difference between your home setup.

You say that the Linksys router is doing DHCP and NAT for your home network.

Then you say your Airport base is doing DHCP ALSO? But no NAT? That setup
won't work.

You see, if your Airport base is handing out IP address information that is
different than the IP address information that the Linksys is handing out
(I.E. Different Router & DNS addresses), then the network will have
problems.

What you need to do is just turn off all DHCP & NAT functions on your
Airport base, and set the base to get it's IP address info from a DHCP
server (I.E. Your Linksys), then all should be fine!

If this doesn't work, write back.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html