Re: [NTLK] [ANN] DCL / Escale

From: Nicolas Zinovieff (krugazor_at_free.fr)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 14:25:49 PDT

Thanks for your comments (which are kind, regarding the number of bugs
we left out in this version...)

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> - Keyboard input works fine but very slow, suggesting that AppleTalk
> doesn't get up to the speed it should, or should I have set a speed in
> the prefs? (I understood that that was only for serial)

I think I have to make my mea culpa on this one, since I am responsible
for the original AppleTalk implementation as well as the keyboard
interface on OSX.
While AppleTalk seems to have a bigger "minimal fingerprint", I think
the problem lies in the way I handle events on the keyboard window.
For those who didn't know, the "paste" command (through command v)
works very well, and is a lot faster than actual typing.
I think the minimal amount of "energy" put into an Appletalk packet is
bigger than a TCP one. Therefore, we probably should send a bigger
amount of data at the same time instead of one character at a time...
It looks like it anyway.

> it connects (BTW, for people behind routers, took me a moment to figure
> that I had to look up the IP Address the router assigned to my Computer
> which you can find in the Network Prefs) but nothing else, I click
> install on Escale or in the Dock on my Newt and absolutely happens.
> File Info doesn't do anything and keyboard also doesn't give any
> results so far.

That is rather strange. Do you have any debug information?
To enable debug, one method is to launch Escale through its UNIX
command:
<path to Escale OSX.app>/Contents/MacOS/Escale\ OSX
It should print a lot of information in the terminal while it works. If
not, we may have to allow the debug version to be downloaded... ;)

> Very curious to comments/solutions from Paul or Nicolas. (or anybody
> else of course)

You have them ;)

--
Nicolas