Re: [NTLK] eMate screen cable issues

From: Andrew Shooner (shooner.3_at_osu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 22:28:01 PDT

Robert,

short answer: yes, it's is a must-do.

Long answer: consider it like car insurance. sure you don't HAVE to
have it to drive a car, but if you don't and you need it, you're in big
trouble, and chances are eventually you will be in that situation.

Don't be so discouraged, the washer installation is VERY simple for the
insurance it brings. the soldering is the only potentially tricky part,
and it is very straightforward (i'd never done soldering in the past,
and i have successfully installed washers on 4 emates).
  Pretty much, I think the emate market is getting to the point where
you'll soon be more lucky to find an emate WITHOUT the ribbon damage
(which is more or less unrepairable) , and it doesn't take much for an
old emate to get the damage.
My first emate i bought off of ebay, and it worked fine, since it had
probably sat on a shelf for years. After about two weeks of use, MY
usage had caused the spring to come undone and puncture the ribbon. So
my first emate sat on a shelf for 5+ years in perfect condition only to
be rendered a junk unit b/c i wasn't aware of the problem at the time.
After that, when i scored 3 good emates as "parts" machines off of
ebay, I didn't even open the lids until I had installed the ringers.

Long story short: it's worth it if you have any love for the emate at
all. If it really is a passing fancy, then do whatever you want.
Just my 2 cents.

Go Buckeyes!

Andy S.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html