Re: [NTLK] Downloading/installing packages with osx

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 09:22:43 PDT

On 29/04/03 11:36, "Edward Humes" <ehumes_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Dear List Members,
>
> I successfully installed my orinico silver wavelan card and am happily
> connecting to my iBook (running Jaguar) in classic mode via Airport.
> Everything is working (except I had to deactiviate WEP; newton couldn't
> find my computer with it on, even with hexadecimal code provided).
>
> My problem now is making packages installable from my iBook. In
> desperation, I tried files I downloaded and unstuffed on my pc and then
> moved to the iBook by disk -- hoping to avoid download scrambling of
> code-- still don't appear as packages to NCU. I tried using the
> package converter utility running in classic mode but I get the
> following message every time I drop a file from my desktop onto the
> package converter icon:
>
> Can't get <<class fitp>> of alias
> "Macintosh HD:Users:ehumes:Desktop:newton packages:SimpleMail
> folder:SimpleMail.pkg".
>
> Clearly I'm making a newbie mistake here. Can anyone provide guidance?

It looks like you're trying to drop an alias to the original package. An
alias is a shorcut (in the Windows world) to an original item. When you
click to select the alias, I believe that you should have an option in the
Finder, in the File menu, that will say something like 'Show original'. Try
to drop the original item.

-Laurent.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html