Re: [NTLK] Downloading/installing packages with osx

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 08:50:25 PDT

Il me semble que le 29/4/03 à 08:36 -0700, Edward Humes nous racontait:
>I successfully installed my orinico silver wavelan card and am happily
>connecting to my iBook (running Jaguar) in classic mode via Airport.
>Everything is working (except I had to deactiviate WEP; newton couldn't
>find my computer with it on, even with hexadecimal code provided).

You're a registered user of Hiroshi's driver? Do you use DCHP?

Some people mention that DHCP doesn't work well with 128 bits WEP but
your silver card can only do 56 bits WEP.

I never had any issue with WEP and Hiroshi Noguchi's WiFi driver
except that it was not very easy to setup at first (especially these
old buggy versions of the driver).

>My problem now is making packages installable from my iBook. In
>desperation, I tried files I downloaded and unstuffed on my pc and then
>moved to the iBook by disk -- hoping to avoid download scrambling of
>code-- still don't appear as packages to NCU. I tried using the
>package converter utility running in classic mode but I get the
>following message every time I drop a file from my desktop onto the
>package converter icon:
>
> Can't get <<class fitp>> of alias
> "Macintosh HD:Users:ehumes:Desktop:newton packages:SimpleMail
>folder:SimpleMail.pkg".
>
>Clearly I'm making a newbie mistake here. Can anyone provide guidance?

You might want to try Packager, a MacOS X native utility that does
exactly the same than PackType.

You can also try MacOS X native package installers.
There is unixnpi (command line), NewTen (serial only), Delivery
(AppleTalk/TCP/Rendezvous) and Escale
(Serial/AppleTalk/TCP/Rendezvous).

http://metastasis.net/mici/pkgs/pkger_e.html
http://unixnpi.sourceforge.net/
http://www.stevenf.com/index.php?node=NewTen
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/
http://krugazor.free.fr/Escale.app.sit

If you have any problem with Escale or Delivery, please report the
bugs to http://bugs.kallisys.com

UnixNPI (and possibly NewTen which is based on it) uses the suffix to
figure out the kind of packages. I don't recall what Delivery does.
The two latest applications, Packager 2.0 and Escale, now peek into
the package to see if it is a Newton package, simply ignoring often
wrong MacOS X meta-data and the suffix.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/