Re: [NTLK] Back to School Programs

From: R. Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 11:03:29 PDT

On 2003-08-05 at 13:31:08, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> There are tons of calculators on UNNA:
> http://www.unna.org/unna/applications/calculator/
>
> Note that you can use Works Calc with the on-screen keyboard... it
just helps
> to have a third-party button somewhere to open the keyboard as Works
Calc
> doesn't have a built-in button for it.

I actually wrote two packages that allow use of the keyboard from any
application. They're both on UNNA, though I haven't improved either of
them at all since releasing them. Anyway, here they are:

http://toronto.unna.org/unna/utilites/menus/AnyKey/

http://toronto.unna.org/unna/utilites/menus/KeyPad/

AnyKey is probably the better of the two. It puts a little white button
in the upper right corner of the screen that brings up the normal
keyboard when you hit it. I haven't yet added the ability to
reconfigure the corner, but you just have to changs a few numbers in the
source and recompile it. It's really very simple as long as you have a
basic grasp of NewtonScript.

On 2003-08-05 at 17:18:06, John Kamimura wrote:
> Is there a package that mimics the TI-8x family of graphing
calculators? I checked \
> the directory and there doesn't seem to be anything that matches a TI.

Well, I wouldn't use another TI unless my HP-49 gave out on me. It's
far better than the TI-89 in that it doesn't auto-simplify answers, so
you can then do operations that will get the answer in whatever form you
want. I also like how it has more memory and arbitrary precision
integers. It can do 100! In less than a second and it keeps every
single digit of the answer for future manipulations. I also like how it
has a real serial port on the top. It communicates over Kermit or
Xmodem. It has three programming languages (or four depending on if you
consider two versions of the same language to be different) along with
an on-calculator compiler and even debugger for them, plus I just like
RPN.

Now, to get back on topic:

The NewtonWorks Calculator mimics much of the functionality of almost
any graphing calculator except for symbolic manipulation, matrixes, and
statistics, but the last two can be done in QuickFigure Works if you
know what you're doing.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html