Re: [NTLK] How reliable is NCU via incramental backup?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 19:10:57 PST

on 04/12/03 18:40, Dan at dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com wrote:

> Hello all,
> I was wondering how reliable NCU was when doing incremental backups. I
> heard once that people had problems (years ago), and so I never did it much
> (always moved my backups to another folder before starting another).
> However having large storage cards, I would like to do incremental backups
> most of the time and total backups once and a while as this would save quite
> a bit of time. Of course if incremental is not to be trusted, then it is
> not worth it regardless. Any input is appreciated.

There have been numerous reports about incremental backups that were
corrupted. It looks like that part was not thoroughly tested in NCU and, as
a result, many people who were expecting to be safe with an incremental
backup discovered at the worst moment that their backup was useless...

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows
about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to
let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an
operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an
exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your
new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known
as `TOI' (transfer of information).
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html