Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your Newton 12

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 19:13:04 PST

There is a similar functionality using NetHopper. This
reliable browser for the Newton (note, http 1.0
version only...no frames, tables or other "fancy" html
stuff allowed) has a pluging called NetHopper
Scheduler. I have a copy for download/install from my
site: http://newton.tek-ed.com...scroll almost down to
the bottom...
This little package allows you to setup a site and a
time frame for downloads. Then it stores the pages in
cache and allows you to view the pages at a later
date! I use it when I absolutly have nothing better to
do...like prior to when I wait to get my oil
changed... and it does everything as advertised.
Give it a try.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Steve Weyer <saweyer_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2003, at 6:09 AM,
> newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>
> > Date: 3 Dec 2003 23:27:03 -0800
> > Subject: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org =
> Surfing the web on your
> > Newton 12
> > From: "RAParker" <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
> >
> > One of the tricks that I've wanted to do with my
> Newton 120 (besides
> > email)
> > is to be able request web pages and have the text
> information
> > downloaded
> > for reading later, preferable before I wake up in
> the a.m.
> >
> > ,,,
> > Email the URL to a server and in return the server
> sends you the text
> > of
> > the web page you requested. Evidently, this is
> done all the time...the
> > web
> > never ceases to amaze me.
> >
> > Check out the information here:
> >
> > http://www4mail.org/
> >

> fyi. before the days of NIE (and still for 1.x
> devices), email proxy
> (still supported in Newt's Cape, btw) was major
> (only?) way to "browse"
> (albeit, slowly).
>
> as I recall, Pierre Omidyar(sp?) better known later
> as founder of eBay,
> started with a shareware service that served web
> pages via email.
>
> Steve
> weyer_at_kagi.com
> http://communicrossings.com/
>
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown"
               -Darph Bobo, Tripping the Rift