Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 11:17:53 PST

Steve:

An FYI: the links on your home.comcast.net site for downloading Newts Cape,
error out and appear to link to "bigweb.misty.com"

On Sat, Dec 6, 2003 3:57 AM, Steve wrote:
> I understand about the memory issues. esp. on MP120 with only 1 PCMCIA
> slot and limited heap. (instead of NIE 2.0, you could try NIE 1.1)

I've been a little reluctant to install NIE 1.1. Everything seems to work
great on my 120 and I'm finding it more and more useful, no longer just a
curious toy. But I do know that IT IS ONLY a MessagePad. And, even though
the technology was way advanced for 1995, I do expect it to have some
limitations. Besides, I still prefer surfing the web at 1280x960, in full
color, and at speeds faster than 20mhz molasses ;-)

For now, My 120 seems to be settling into its "position in life" as A Day
Planner & souped up Note Pad. The latest feature of my Newton I find useful
is off line reading. There are free moments in my day where I can now read
email, news, tech articles, even respond to emails. All from the comfort of
my MessagePad, and just by sending and receiving email.

That's where my interest in Newts Cape come in. If I can request HTML or
MIME attachments from www4mail using GoFetch, and Newts Cape can read and
display them, all for $20, I'm definitely interested in seeing if it fits
on my Newton.

> > More time...need more storage!
>
> it _might_ work but you're right, memory (esp. heap) could be a major
> problem,

If I find Newts Cape works well, I'm going to have to finally shell out for
a multi-mega-byte flash card for my Newton. I was just imagining,
downloading a page w/graphics for off-line viewing...I'll bet that takes
some storage space!

> > What I really want to do is to simply upload (or mail) a tab
> > delimited or comma separated file without line breaks, so that I could
> > update my contacts, appointments, notes, to-do's etc. on MyYahoo!
> > account quickly and easily. I'm still working on that one.

> by default, Sloup generates tab-delimited files, with linebreaks to
> delimit records; these are customizable

I'm sorry...I was a little vague here. The problem I have with line breaks
is within GoFetch itself. GoFetch appears to break ALL lines at 72
(guessing) with a hard return. I see this as presenting a (small) problem
with sending/receiving database records and then being able to
import/export them without having to play with the files first.

Since email is a dominate form of communication for me, I would like to
send single (or multiple) address, date, todo, and notes, to/from My Yahoo!
account and my Newton through email. That way, I can (easily and quickly)
update either data set, just by highlighting the information and then
cutting, pasting or importing.

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for Mac OS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html