Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your

From: Steve Weyer (saweyer_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:42:21 PST

> Date: 8 Dec 2003 11:17:53 -0800
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on
> your
> From: "RAParker" <RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET>
>
> Steve:
>
> An FYI: the links on your home.comcast.net site for downloading Newts
> Cape,
> error out and appear to link to "bigweb.misty.com"

someone else reported this a day ago and domain has been fixed,
download links for bigweb.misty.com should work now

> That's where my interest in Newts Cape come in. If I can request HTML
> or
> MIME attachments from www4mail using GoFetch, and Newts Cape can read
> and
> display them, all for $20, I'm definitely interested in seeing if it
> fits
> on my Newton.

you can try Newt's Cape for free for ~45 days. HTML should work fine.
handling individual attachments such as .gif and .pkg _might_ work (I
did have GoFetch installed for testing at one time) but no
guarantees...

> If I find Newts Cape works well, I'm going to have to finally shell
> out for
> a multi-mega-byte flash card for my Newton. I was just imagining,
> downloading a page w/graphics for off-line viewing...I'll bet that
> takes
> some storage space!

assuming graphic attachments converted, you could probably view them
individually, but not integrated within an HTML page using the email
transfer. the basic problem is that the file attachments usually don't
have a complete URL identifying them (maybe just a partial filename),
so they're not stored in Newt's Cape's cache, so web page wouldn't find
images.

> Ron

Steve
weyer_at_kagi.com