Re: [NTLK] Decaying programs

From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 15:31:29 PST

On 12-Dec-03, at 2:39 PM, Andrei Chichak wrote:

[snip]

> On the other hand, with a REAL operating system, bragging points are
> awarded to those with the highest uptime. My personal record, 1.5 years
> with an SCO UNIX box. My corporate record 23 years with no unscheduled
> downtime, University of Alberta Hospitals Tandem.

The best I'd ever personally been involved in were Vax clusters.
I installed the cluster, eventually left the company, returned several
years later on contract, again left the company at the end of the
contract and again returned years later. The cluster was up and
available the whole time, even with drive outages (thank god for
hardware mirrors)

That was 14 years.

And they had the Mac IIci I installed for desktop backups also still
running as well.
That was 13 years old (and man was it full of dust)
When I finally shut it off the HD froze tight.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html