Re: [NTLK] NetGear MR814 with Wired Connection

From: Eric Schneck (eschneck_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 06:01:02 PST

>From: Norman Palardy (palardyn_at_shaw.ca)
>Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 23:59:02 PST

On 16-Dec-03, at 12:33 AM, Eric Schneck wrote:
>>has anyone
>>successfully set up a wired connection with this router?
>>

>Yes.
>I simply changed my settings to not get a DHCP address and just use one
>that I had set to not be given out by the DHCP server on the 814 and it
>worked fine for me.
>Have used NCU over Appletalk with it as well.
>
>But, both ends are wired.
>
>I know someone mentioned that the 814 didn't seem to bridge Appletalk
>between the wired and wireless segments. I can't confirm this

I am still having no luck. Wired AppleTalk does not work over the 814, but it does work over a crossover cable to my PowerBook. So I think my card drivers are OK. (And the PowerBook connects to the Net no problem). I *think* that the cabling is OK, since it worked on my hub.

The 814 has all the default settings, except for my PPPoE login.
My NIE settings are as follows: (But AppleTalk also does not work, so I'm not sure it's an NIE problem)

Config: Manual
Card 3Com 3C589D PC Card
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Local IP Address 192.168.0.55 (814 is at .1, Mac is at .2)
Gateway/Router Address: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 207.217.77.82
Alternate DNS: 207.69.188.186 (These are Mindspring/Earthlink, I think)
(plus 2 more DNS's as I got more desperate)
Domain Name: earthlink.net (also tried blank and mindspring.com)

The newton does not show up at all on the 814 status page, although the Mac does.
Any ideas, anyone?

Eric

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html