Re: [NTLK] InPath Scanner

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 08:51:22 PST

Joel M. Sciamma wrote:

> The wand has a very small depth of field i.e. it focuses the spot very close
> to the tip and is designed to be in contact with the barcode itself.
>
> Shiny surfaces can also be a problem as the difference in reflectivity
> between light and dark areas is reduced enough that the wand can't
> distinguish them. Changing the angle the wand makes with the surface can
> help. Barcodes that are not black and white can reduce contrast too.

I use my InPath mostly to keep track of my growing DVD collection. I have no
problems scanning barcodes on the back of DVDs through the plastic, but when I
get a new DVD I always have to remove the cellophane first, otherwise I won't
be able to scan it. It doesn't like to read through the cellophane.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html