Re: [NTLK] portable computers [was: Followup to Houston Chronicle Story]

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 05:48:06 PST

on 12/23/03 9:08 PM, Len Cole at leonard.cole_at_verizon.net wrote:

> Regardless if the desktop market is stagnant or not, I certainly do not think
> that Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public are buying laptops to use in their family
> room. They're still too expensive. Just look at the mass marketing - it's
> still all desktops, at least until the last few months now that Intel is
> pushing the Centrino chipset.

You should have read the NYT article on the web that I read... The article
was about how computers are coming to the kitchen in your average home. Of
the people interviewed in the article, the vast majority had _laptops_ in
their kitchen, and several had several--ok, everybody in the family had
their own laptop, connected via Airport (wifi) and were sitting in the
kitchen with them... :-) My point is, of course, that laptops are coming to
the home, and it is the most growing segment of new sales---Now, however,
saying that, I must confess that I'm looking at it from a Mac perspective.
Apple's largest growing segment is the laptop market, and it is their
desktop segment that has mostly stagnated. It may be different in the Wintel
world, but I tend to doubt it. I do know this, in our household, we have
three computers. Two are laptops, and only one is a desktop. Granted, we are
a family of 5 (soon to be six) in a 63m2 apartment, but honestly, I would
never go back to a large, chunky desktop with monitor ever! I like the
all-in-one design, the ability to have it where I want it, not where it has
to be planted. Oh, and my soon will be getting his own laptop soon. :-) So,
while laptops may be a "fringe" element in the home, and primarily a
"business" solution at the moment, that does not mean that laptops or
something similar won't be in the near future... Btw, where do many business
laptops get used the most outside of work? Probably at home... That's my
guess... :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland