[NTLK] Newton & GPS - Haicom Hi-303e

From: Michael Briley (mike_at_maxwell.phys.uwosh.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 10:54:41 PST

Happy Holidays Everyone.

In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd report success using
my MP2000(U) and a Haicom Hi-303e compact flash GPS (with PCMCIA
adaptor) that my wife got me for Christmas. With the GPS Map Lite
software (www.segelflug.de/gps), it really was just plug & play
(no drivers or anything). I've put a picture of it in use (in
my back yard) at www.phys.uwosh.edu/mike/newt-gps.jpg (that's a
map of Oshkosh Wisconsin on the screen that I made for driving
around town). The 303e's are going for US $104 (+shipping) at
storagemedia.com, which strikes me as quite a bargain (no connection
with them, just pretty happy with the unit). My only complaint
might be that the reception isn't that good inside a car. While
it still does work, the $20 external antenna is probably worth it
if you're going to drive around with it a lot.

Cheers,
-Mike

P.S.: It also works just fine in my TiBook.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html