Re: [NTLK] Reset question

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 17:53:21 PST

Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:
> Here is the a question, if you reset using a
> package does it do the same thing by reseting the
> power manger or does it reset by other means?
   I don't think so. Apple lists several kind of resets in the manual. I think all a software reset does in power the Newt down and force a reload of packages. Pressing the reset button does that, plus resetting the power manager.

> And if they do the same thing, how about
> pulling the batteries in a 2000?
   If the Newt is asleep when you pull the battery it shouldn't notice since the capacitor is maintaining the machine state. If you sleep the Newt with a note open, change the battery and unsleep the Newt the note should still be open.
   If you pull the battery with the Newt awake all manner of nastiness is possible.

Peter

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html