Re: [NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: rpatel_at_accelrys.com
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 01:08:19 PST

Hi,

>Imagine a Newton like application residing on your desktop, iPaq, web
>page.

In a way HWR is almost a red herring - if you could get the newton smarts
onto the web / desktop then you'd be 99% there with the functionality.

So I guess you'd need some object db underlying everything and some
smarts to hang it all together.

Its interesting that Mitch Kapors 'chandler'
http://www.osafoundation.org/our_product_desc.htm,
and a couple of desktop applications (one OS X & the other X-platform)
whose names
escape me but they allow you to arbitrarily link useful bits of
information from a variety
of different places. They seem to be standalone applications but if they
were web
enabled (like a super wiki web).

It could either be a server based tool for multiple users or a desktop
tool for
a single user (similar to Dave Winers rss 'radio' application).

I guess a small platform neutral web server and application code (java,
python ?) would
run on a PDA or Tablet too.

Hmmmm brain bursting with too many ideas - pity I can't program to save
myself :-)

Hope list members will forgive the digression but one of the neat things
about the
list is the idea/paradigm of the Newt and how to keep the concepts alive
rather
than the just the old hardware/software which will eventually stop
functioning.

Raj.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html