Re: [NTLK] Using large Flash cards on 2100 - performance impact?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 11:06:24 PST

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:50:39PM -0500, Stocker, Michael wrote:
> Based on my 130 experience, having a lot of applications on the Newton =
> affected performance significantly.
>
> With 2100's is this true?
>
> Seeing people talking about using 5GB ATA Flash cards, makes me wonder =
> how this might be practical?

As I mentioned in the other mail just now, the difference is that the
ATA drivers segment large cards into many smaller stores, and they can
be mounted and unmounted, just like smaller cards can be inserted and
removed. Packages on unmounted stores don't take up even the room that
frozen packages on a mounted card do. Just like having a "flashcard
jukebox", if you will...

--
_  o
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html