Re: [NTLK] Newton wireless pt100

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 22:35:46 PST

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 03:35 PM, John Skinner wrote:

> On 2/6/03 6:32 PM, "Don" <don_at_dcphotos.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings all,
>> My question, I would like to wirelessly access my Apple Network Server
>> (running AIX 4.1.5) with PT100 wirelessly with my Newton.
>> I have two wavelan silver cards, a powerbook 5300 and a lot of time.
>> I downloaded IPNetRouter as from as far as I can tell I will need it.
>> I did back-up the Newton wirelessly with the powerbook...very cool.
>> TIA,
>> Don
>
> Hey Don,
>
> Don't use IPNetRouter. Instead use Apple's Airport software and setup a
> "Software Basestation" with the software on the PowerBook. This will
> make
> your PowerBook act like a BaseStation bridge from your wireless
> network, to
> your wired network. Then if you have your Apple Network Server
> configured to
> accept telnet connections, you would be able to telnet into it from
> your
> Newton! Wirelessly!

That isn't going to work on a PB5300 because Apple's airport software
doesn't work on it...

IPNetRouter will work.. I know I have done this before using the
Orinoco drivers for the Wavelan card and then a GV powerport for wired
ethernet too... Works fine, but a pain to configure the first time...

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html