Re: [NTLK] Toshiba PC Card with ATA Support

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 10:24:39 PST

Ā (At) 20:06 +0200 10/2/03, Eckhart Köppen écrivait (wrote) :
>One thing to consider is the memory usage pattern. An application that
>would benefit greatly is for example a web browser or a mail client.
>They use relatively big amounts of memory for a short time: When
>processing the incoming data. Then, attachments get stripped of, web
>pages get simplified and everything ends up in NewtonScript land.

Especially if we could avoid transitting in the NewtonScript land
with native C++ endpoints.

> > - This heap isn't garbage collected. Any leak there is definitive.
>
>Yes, but that constraint is even more true on other platforms and they
>manage to do well. With the same uptime requirements.

You're right.

I was just mentionning drawbacks of using C++ for memory allocation.
Now, there are plenty of advantages.
One of the nice thing you can do with C++ memory allocation is to
have your own heap. This also eliminates the leak issue.

A long time ago, I thought about a way to design pure C++ program in
the Newton that would be loaded as a separate task, with globals
(this requires doing some runtime/compilation hack) and that would
talk to the NS world in a thread safe way (thru special APIs). I
think this is how NewtonOS should have been extended 3 years ago.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/