Re: [NTLK] a provocation...

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 09:43:57 PST

Ben,

> i'm currently making my way through donald norman's book _the invisible
> computer_ (norman's known in academia for his work in
> pshychology/design/interface research, and in the "real" world for his R&D
> efforts at HP and apple). i thought his mixed remarks on the newton were
> rather...ahem...interesting:

Actually Don contradicts himself a little here becuase he praises the
compact versatile tools like the Swiss Army Knife while also championing the
single-minded solutions which in many cases would be a better way to handle
a problem.

His argument for having electronic devices that are very tightly focused
only works if you are not travelling - how many devices would you like to
carry with you? A general purpose hand-held is the only realistic option and
the Palm stood between the two ends of the argument.

The Newton, being so early in the game, suffered from not being properly
understood but with the pervasive use of computers and recently tablet-style
PC's, it's clear that the Newt was actually the right solution.

If you are interested in interaction design then, if you have not already
done so, you must read Alan Cooper's book called the Inmates are Running the
Asylum <http://www.cooper.com/> - Highly recommended.

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html