Re: [NTLK] Newt 2000 == always on

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 08:20:34 PST

Quoting Jonathan Wise for NewtonTalk <newtontalk_at_jonandnic.com>:

> So of course, I checked the prefs, set them to 10 minutes each, and turned
> Newt off. Later I used the Newt to take a note, set it down, came back a
> half hour later and it was still on, still lit. Again I checked the prefs,
> and they were both set to "never". I changed them back, closed prefs and
> re-opened them and it was correct. So I powered down the Newt, and
> rechecked prefs and they were set back to "never". This time I set the
> prefs, and did a restart, thinking maybe I had to commit these changes
> somehow. But they were still set back to "never".

Hey Jon,

Sounds to me like you've got some other extention installed that is changing
the power settings on you. I can't name any off the top of my head though...
go through your Extentions folder in Extras.

> Does Newton have a PROM or CMOS? Perhaps there's a dead watch type battery
> in my Newt somewhere that is preventing it from saving my settings? Has
> anyone seen this behaviour before? Can anyone suggest a fix?

For clock backup, the Newton uses a large capacitor permanently attached to
the motherboard. This should keep the time for /at least/ an hour. There's
nothing to replace, unless it dies completely.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html