Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: Daniel Padilla (dproldan_at_telefonica.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 03:09:23 PST

>> serial (0), infrared(1), internal modem(3) and two PC Card slots. Using
one
>> or other is just a matter of changing a four character string, either by
>> patching the package or hex editing it in a desktop.
>
>Ah, okay these would be "Option Labels" ("aser", "mnps", "mods" etc.) from
>the Prog. Guide or something else?

    Those options you mention are communication tools. To change the serial
port, you have to use the serial chip location option, with label
kCMOSerialHWChipLoc:

kHWLocExternalSerial "extr" Use the external serial port (typical default).
kHWLocBuiltInIR "infr" Use the built-in infrared port.
kHWLocBuiltInModem "mdem" Use the built-in modem. (channel 3)
kHWLocPCMCIASlot1 "slt1" Use the application card in slot 1.
kHWLocPCMCIASlot2 "slt2" Use the application card in slot 2.

>> The hardware isn't too complicated, there are serial port PC cards in
>> the market, and channel number 3 only needs a serial driver chip to work
>

>The hardware side I can deal with - it's all this messing around in c++
that
>is hurting my brain :-) (...trying to make ethernet drivers work...)
>
>Any serial PCMCIA people like or dislike?

    These were advertised as newton compatible by Apple itself.

    http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp

    If you feel lucky, you can try this: :-)

        http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/diyserial.html

Daniel

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html